St. John Ambulance
- What: Offers courses in English and French in Standard/Emergency First Aid and CPR and specific classes like "What Every Babysitter Should Know". The local public libraries also offer St. John Ambulance first aid classes periodically. Check our Family Fun Calendar for upcoming events.
- Contact: For more information call 1-800-563-9998 or visit sja.ca
- What: First Aid Training
- Where: 246 Lutz St.
- Contact: 863-2650 or visit www.redcross.ca
Medicine Cabinet & First Aid Kit Musts:
- Adhesive tape
- Antibiotic ointment
- Antiseptic solution/wipes
- Bandages, gauze and band-aids
- Burn ointment
- Cotton balls, q-tips
- Benadryl or after bite stick
- Eye wash solution
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Nail clippers
- Instant ice packs
- Ipecac syrop or activated charcoal (to induce vomiting in cases when a child has been poisoned)
- Nasal aspirator
- Nose drops (saline)
- Oral electrolyte solution i.e. Pedialyte (to prevent dehydration)
Important phone numbers like poison control, Telecare, hospitals etc. should be kept on hand.
Make sure your medicine cabinet is well stocked as well as your first aid kit. Keep a first aid kit in your home as well as your car and make sure every family member knows where it is stored.